Tuesday, July 14, 2009

THEY ALSO SERVE

Moses said unto the Lord, O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue.
-Exodus 4:10 (KJV)



GOD would not allow Moses to use a handicap as an excuse to back away from what God asked him to do. After Moses reluctantly agreed, he found that with God's guidance, he was able to lead the people out of bondage.

Through the ages, God has strengthened and worked through those with impairments. Their accomplishments have been a witness to what is possible when we realize that God is with us. John Milton, the British poet who wrote Paradise Lost, was blind. Speaker and writer Helen Keller was both deaf and blind. Both are awesome examples of the power of God. When we have an emptiness, God fills it.

When I become despondent because of the physical impairments of my advancing years, I remember the nation that grew from Abraham and Sarah, who seemed too old to have a child. If I give myself to my church and community, God will still work through me. In whatever I do, I can serve as a witness that God will use my gifts and talents, despite the limitations that come with aging.

Raymond Bottom (Mississippi, USA)

No comments:

Post a Comment