Friday, May 15, 2009

Take to Your Learnin
Scripture Reading: Numbers 22:21-38

"Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness and receive with meekness the engrafted word that is able to save your souls." (James 1:21).

James 1:21 says to “humbly accept the word planted in you.” In other words, “be teachable!” “Receive instruction!” My sweet grandmother once commented about my brother’s ability to play the piano, “He sure took to his learnin’, didn’t he?” The question today is, “Do we?”

Our teachability often depends on our teacher. If we respect the teacher, we might accept the teaching. If we don’t, we dump it. Numbers 22 clearly demonstrates that God can use anything or anyone as an instrument of His instruction. He can oppose a donkey through a prophet or a prophet through a donkey. He can deliver His message to us in any form He wishes. Second Peter 2:15-16 says, “They have left the straight way and wandered off to follow the way of Balaam son of Beor, who loved the wages of wickedness. But he was rebuked for his wrongdoing by a donkey—a beast without speech—who spoke with a man's voice and restrained the prophet's madness.” When we are proud, rebellious, and insist on our own way, the chances are good He’ll use a donkey! Unlikely teachers have a two-fold purpose: to bring humility and instruction. Often we will learn no other way.

Whatever happened to Balaam? Last I saw of him, he was riding off with an “I Pause for Donkeys” bumper sticker on the back of his beast. Not a bad idea. Beloved, let’s work on having a more teachable spirit. God often wants to do “a new thing” in our lives, but we resist Him (see Isa. 43:18-19).

I have a wonderful friend named Marge Caldwell. She is beloved by many women who have heard her speak through the years. She absolutely amazes me. She would not appreciate me telling her age, and you would never believe it if I did, but she is still studying and allowing God to teach her new things when others have long since written their own eulogies. I get a kick out of watching her in our new contemporary worship service at church. She claps, sings, and sways with the best of them. Teachability!

Sometimes we don’t mind something new, we just don’t like the vehicle God’s using to drive us to that new place. A precious part of teachability is being willing and anxious to learn, regardless of who He chooses as our unlikely teacher. As my grandmother would say, “Child, let’s take to our learnin’.”

Lord, where I am unteachable, please manifest gentleness through Your Holy Spirit. Convict me when I close my ears to certain teachers out of sheer pride. Burden my heart when I refuse to learn anything new or anything that challenges something inaccurate about You that I’ve always believed. Give me a humble heart to receive Your instruction. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Adapted from Living Beyond Yourself, by Beth Moore,

No comments:

Post a Comment